Monday, February 23, 2015

A little sewing tip for my girls with a little extra up top

 This is the story of my life...

A saw this really cute dress in a catalog.  I hinted to my husband that I wanted it for Christmas, so he bought it for me.  The day it came in the mail, we were going to a dinner party with some friends.  I was very excited to be able to wear my new dress!

After rushing home from work and quickly put on the dress, I then looked in the mirror.  I broke down and started to cry.  I didn't look anything like the girl in the magazine did.  She was fairly tall, but was also pretty flat chested.  The dress hung from the top and made me look like I was wearing a sack.

I throw off the dress, quickly put on a pair of jeans and a cute sweater and we headed out.  THE END


That is not the end!  I hated that my husband had spent money on something that I specifically asked for and then it was thrown in the bottom of my closet.  I have been sewing all of my life and thought how stupid it was of me not to just fix it. 

I want to show you this simple fix.  If you can sew a straight (or even crooked line) then you can do it.  You can either use a machine or stitch by hand. All we are doing is adding a simple dart.


Before 

Before
You can see the dress just hangs and is not very flattering.  We are going to help that!
Step 1: Turn the dress inside out and put back on.
Step 2: Find the correct placement for the darts - facing the mirror, go directly under the center of the breast to the bra line.  That is the starting point.  Pin or mark this with a white pencil.  It is on the inside, so don't worry. Remove dress.

Stitch dart
Step 3: Keep dress inside out! (This dress had seams at the correct place already) Fold the material from the pin mark going down the front of the dress.  
Step 4: Stitch from pin mark down about 2" and in about 1 1/4".  When you get to that point, leave the needle down and lift the pressure foot.  Rotate the material so you are heading in the right direction without the material getting bunched up, and lower the pressure foot.  Continue to stitch down 4" and over to the fold line.
Step 5: Repeat for other side.  Make sure that your starting and stopping points are the same (otherwise you will look lopsided!)

You can't tell much from the front

But there is a huge difference on the side view!


Now, to go through the rest of the closet and see what else I need to fix! I am not the best at explaining things, so feel free to ask me any questions.



No comments:

Post a Comment