Saturday, February 28, 2015

Minimalist Game

 WOOHOO! Today is the last day of February - 28 days = 28 items
Day 28!!!! I made it!


These two guys, Joshua Fields Millburn and Ryan Nicodemus, explain here: http://www.theminimalists.com/game/

But, basically, each day you get rid of the number of items for that day.  Today is the 28th - so 28 things need to go.  They do say that it needs to be out of the house.  I guess there is a fear that some people would start going back through all the stuff and "take" it back.  I decided just to start a pile. I have a big box for the stuff going to Habitat for Humanity and a bag for the clothes that will go to Goodwill.  I also have a box for things that out-of-town family members want.

It all started when I had seen a post that my sister had put on Facebook and I questioned what it was all about.  I figured if she could do it, then I could do!  And I did!

I know you guys on Facebook are probably sick of seeing me post every day what I am doing for the #minsgame. But, posting a picture of the stuff on Facebook really, REALLY, helped me to stay on track.  Each day I knew that I would be holding myself responsible, and it worked.

There are a few things that are really crazy about this whole "experiment" or experience.  One is that I thought about it everyday.  I would wake up wondering if I would be able to meet my goal for the day.  I know it doesn't sound that difficult, but for some people like me, it is very hard to let anything go.  Now, I am not a hoarder, I do throw out (recycle, reuse) tons of stuff.  But, there are other things that I have real trouble with.  I moved 21 times before I turned 21.  Because of that I packed my whole life into boxes and hulled them from place to place.  Each one of those possessions were my home.  I still have tons of my toys from when I was a toddler. Most I will still never part with. And I don't have to right now.

Another thing for me is that I own an art gallery and gift shop.  So, I promote buying.  I also, have a huge collection of art in my home.  But, this helped me to remove the "crap" and have more room for nicer things.  Probably 99% of the stuff that I removed was from my cabinets, closets, boxes in the attic. It wasn't things that I look at every day and enjoy. Probably, many would think that my house is too crowded with stuff, but my husband and I enjoy them and the memories that go with them.  And again, I don't have to get rid of those things right now.

Other than my childhood toys, I found it difficult to get rid of things that I might one day use in a sculpture or piece of artwork.  Again, I realized that it is ok to save some things and let go of others.  It will be different for each person.  I could easily get rid of tons of clothes, but the fish bones that my son collected while camping next to the river I couldn't part with (yes, I know...) Each person will have a different experience through this process.

I am luckily to live in a fairly large home (for two people) and also have a studio, attic, out buildings, and business away from home with an office.  So, I have plenty of room to spread out my stuff.  The things that I chose to hang onto do not impede my life.  I do not have to step over piles of stuff, or I don't have to shift piles to get work done (at home at least - well a little in my studio).  A lot more would have gone out if I wasn't married.  I do have to respect his things and pieces that he has a connection to, but I don't.

The other neat thing about this was, that so many people saw my posts and asked what I was up to.  After I explained, almost all said what a great idea and that they needed to do the same.

Where do I go from here?  Well, my office at work is a pit of despair! I am going to try and do the same challenge at work.  But, don't worry I will not post pictures everyday of the paper and crap that will come out of it! After that I plan on tackling my clay and glass studio, but that has to wait for warmer weather!

I would love to hear if any of you have tried this and what your thoughts are! Tomorrow is a new month!

No comments:

Post a Comment