Friday, February 12, 2010

Working in the studio - 2 new pieces

I have been busy working in the clay studio.  I have two pieces that are now waiting to go into the kiln.  The first one is a "jug".  Or a canopic jar - like a two person funeral urn.  It has two stoppers.  It is open from one side to the next on the inside - so a fluid can be poured in one side and flow to the next.  I haven't come up with a name yet.  Sometimes I have to live with them for a while before I find a name that I like.  I am afraid to put it into the kiln just yet, even though it looks bone dry.  The heads are solid, so I can't really tell if they are dry all of the way through.  I hate to take a chance of them exploding, but I am also impatient when it comes to things waiting to be fired.

The second piece - is actually two pieces.  As you can see from the picture, the little guy in the front is dry, but I just finished the larger piece yesterday.  It will take about a week for it to dry completely.  I got the idea from a picture I saw about penguins and the baby being protected by its mother.  At first I thought that the little guy looked like he was in a religious nitch, like in an idol in a church.  Again, I have not come up with an idea for a name.  If any one has suggestions I would love to hear them.

1 comment:

A NEW blog - Faceted Journey - Using Tarot as a Guide

A NEW blog - Faceted Journey - Using Tarot as a Guide  I am trying to get things done, lol.  I have started a new blog that is dedicated to ...