Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Homemade Hot Pepper Sauce

I had a bummer crop of Jalapeno peppers come in yesterday.  This is about 2/3 of what I used. (Sorry the picture is sideways.)

Hot Peppers form my garden
JALAPEÑO PEPPER
The jalapeño is one of the most common types of peppers in the United States. Many people like this type of pepper because of its spicy yet not overwhelming taste. Jalapeño are usually either red or green and are about two to three inches long. Their Scoville Heat Index is typically around 5,000, however jalapeños can range anywhere from 2,000 to 8,000. These peppers, when used sparingly, add just the right amount of spicy flavor to most Mexican dishes. Many people also deep fry jalapeño which are stuffed with cheese for a tasty yet spicy appetizer.  http://www.sheknows.com/food-and-recipes/articles/805359/types-of-hot-peppers

I decided that there was no way I would be able to use these before they went bad.  A good way is just to freeze them, but I always seem to forget whatever is hiding in my freezer.  I looked up a number of recipes, but didn't find anything that I really wanted to try.  Plus, I didn't have any Mangoes or Pawpaws in my fruit bowl to make a salsa.

I first cut them into small slices. (The picture shows about 1/3 of the total peppers that I used.)

And then I added a cup of sugar and a cup of vinegar and three large cloves of finely cut garlic.  I just let that simmer for about an hour.  I strained most of the liquid out, only because I wanted it to be more meaty.  Then I put it into a glass jar.

This must be refrigerated, but it will keep pretty much forever.  The hottness and flavor will get better with time.  This is a great sauce to use with Bourbon stir-fry chicken.  Be careful, it is very HOT!  I know that it is just Jalapenos, but look at all the seeds just waiting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A NEW blog - Faceted Journey - Using Tarot as a Guide

A NEW blog - Faceted Journey - Using Tarot as a Guide  I am trying to get things done, lol.  I have started a new blog that is dedicated to ...