Monday, October 12, 2020

Gram's Featherweight Singer Sewing Machine

 My Gram was my second Mom.  She taught me much of what I know today.  She taught me etiquette, she schooled me, she taught me to sew, she taught me to love art and crafts, she taught me to be a honest person, she taught me to serve others, she taught me to love everyone unconditionally.

I spent a lot of time with my Gram, even though we lived hundreds of miles apart.  I am not sure how old I was, maybe eight or nine, but I was able to spend the entire summer with her.  This was one of the most important times of my life.  

This is a snapshot of me and some of my summer creations.

My Gram set me up with her Featherweight Singer sewing machine and I went to work.  I wanted to create so many things.  She was constantly searching for more material that I could use.  Our energy fed off of each other.  The more I sewed the more she encouraged me and the more ideas she would throw my way.  It was a fabulous summer!  

I now have my Gram's Featherweight and all the memories that go with it.   There is a fabulous wood table with metal legs that the machine sits in.  (shown above under all the stuffed toys).

The Featherweight was purchased by my Grandfather, Fred Bean, for my great grandmother, Edith Dameron (my Gram's Mom).  This machine was made 5/10/1951.  It is the anniversary Gold Seal model 1851-1951.  This is the only machine my Gram ever used (or liked to use).  


What is crazy is that it has so many parts! My Gram bought the zigzag adapter and extra zigzags.  There is also the buttonhole attachment that has a number of different buttonhole sizes. But, what is really crazy is that it still has the original sewing machine oil that is clamped inside the case!!!  My Gram was maticulase about keeping records, so every instruction book is still with each part.  That is a very good thing, because I would have no idea how to use them!









There is also a repair tag from 1967 for $19.98, which in today's standards would be around $136.00!  I am not sure what this was for, but it was actually in with the button holer, so it may have been to purchase that?


There are also a number of attachments that I have no idea what they do! Most look like different kinds of pressure feet, but I still don't know what each is specifically for. 

A funny thing is the cover.  This is the original plastic toaster cover that my Gram used to keep the dust off the machine.  Later, in the 60's cloth was added as an extra measure. 


I am looking forward to learning how to use this machine all over again.  And, now that I have discovered she had all the parts, I need to learn how to use those as well!  

I hope you enjoyed my little trip down memory lane.  I hope that I can share some new projects with you soon!



No comments:

Post a Comment

A NEW blog - Faceted Journey - Using Tarot as a Guide

A NEW blog - Faceted Journey - Using Tarot as a Guide  I am trying to get things done, lol.  I have started a new blog that is dedicated to ...