Thursday, September 3, 2009
new book finished
For my birthday, John gave me the book The Selected Works of T.S. Spivet, a novel by Reif Larsen. He had heard a story about it on NPR and thought that it would be worth reading. I finished it last night and I wanted to quote the praise from Stephen King.
"Two predictions about The Selected Works of T.S. Spivet: Readers are going to love it as much as I did, and few if any will experienced anything like it. I'm flabbergasted by Reif Larsen's talent, and I was warmed by his generosity. Here is a book that does the impossible: It combines Mark Twain, Thomas Pynchon, and Little Miss Sunshine. Good novels entertain; great ones come as a gift to the readers who are lucky enough to find them. This book is a treasure."
Since I am here, I will share the other books that I have read so far this year. My daughter is an avid reader and she gave me a reading list. I try to pick one off the list and work them into the ones on my list. The ones she recommended are in red.
1. Where are You Now? - by Mary Higgins Clark
2. The Guardian - by Nicholas Sparks
3. Gap Creek - by Robert Morgan
4. Fight Club - by Chuck Palahniuk
5. Angels and Demons - by Dan Brown
6. Vermeers Hat - by Timothy Brook
7. In the Time of the Butterflies - by Julia Alvarey
8. Running in Heels - by Anna Maxted
9. Artemis Fowl - by Eoin Colfer
10. Artemis Fowl the Artic Incedent - by Eoin Colfer
11. Choke - by Chuck Palahniuk
12. The Last Lecture - by Randy Pausch
13. When You are Engulfed in Flames - by David Sedaris
If any of you are fimiliar with some of these books, you will know what I mixture it is! Now on to find my next book!