Saturday, August 1, 2009

What will they remember?

It is funny how we remember certain things about a person. As I was going through my Grandma's things I kept coming across little things that only she and I would know why she held onto it for all of those years. I hated to throw things out, but what would anyone want with most of those scraps of paper, fabric, or little plastic things? I have so many things that remind me of her that I do not need another trinket. But the one thing that my Mother made sure that I got after my Grandma passed was a little gold heart that I had given to her when I was a teenager. She wore it everyday!

Trying to clean things out, my Mom asked if there was anything that I wanted of hers. I told her that I wanted a plastic seagull that she had on a top shelf out in the garage. She couldn't even remember it, but to me it was a symbol of her. When I was a pre-teen my Mom went through this "White Bird" stage. That was her favorite song, plus she drove a white Thunderbird, and had white birds all over our apartment. This plastic bird I wanted is more than just a trinket, it sums up a whole time period of my life spent with her.

I was thinking what would people (my children) remember about me and there is one answer - a 64 1/2 Candy Apple Red Mustang Convertible! I don't know why I love them so much. I never knew anyone that had one (that old), but I have always wanted one. The closest I have been able to get is my 1995 Mustang - it is red, but not a convertible, but the only thing I can afford. Probably weird for a female, but I even have toy cars sitting at computer and of course there is the red Mustang!

For my birthday this past week, my son made me a model. He spent about a month painting it and putting it together. I love it!!!
I know all of these are "things" and that other good stuff will be remembered, like the fact that they are loved and all of that mushy stuff. But, I bet that every time they see one they think of me (whether they want to or not).

4 comments:

  1. I remember a green '64 Mustang convertible sitting on a corner in South Hill back in the day that ways for sale. I passed it everyday going to work. It had that pretty leather pony interior too. I distinctly remember saying "Ya know if that was red Aunt Kitty would buy it in a heartbeat!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to go out on a limb here, and guess that your favorite color is Red??

    I think a 64 mustang convertible would fit in rather well in Pittsboro...imho

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blase', Ya know actually I look good in red, but dark green is my favorite color - I am a tree freak.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a 1966 Mustang Coupe for several years. It was my high school car. I kept it for a couple of years in college, but I needed a pickup to haul stuff to and from. I had to sell the Mustang in order to afford the pickup.

    Probably just as well. I was almost too tall for the 'stang when I sold it and I got a little taller.

    ReplyDelete

A NEW blog - Faceted Journey - Using Tarot as a Guide

A NEW blog - Faceted Journey - Using Tarot as a Guide  I am trying to get things done, lol.  I have started a new blog that is dedicated to ...