Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Actually working!

Today John and I actually went to the studio and did some work! With graduation, summer school, baseball and everything else, we have not been able to produce much work. John was able to throw a bunch of pots while I worked on two hand coiled pieces. About a 1/4 of the way on each one.


People do not understand why I would want to coil my pots rather than throw them on the wheel. The coiled pot takes many, many, many hours to make, but I can throw a pot on the wheel in a couple of minutes (of course there is the trimming and other finish work.) Plus, I can not sell my pieces for 3 or 4 times that of a thrown pot just because it takes me longer.


Probably my biggest reason for coiling is that I do take time with the piece. Each one is unique. Each one has a story. Sometimes I don't know what I am going to make until it starts to form. I may do some sketches, but the piece I begin never ends up like my sketch. It is also very therapeutic for my mind (not my hands). Often while working on a piece I kinda "space out" or go into a kinda trans. My mind wonders, not taking in what is going on around me. Most of the time I do not even listen to music, because I found that I wasn't listening and would miss the whole CD.


We also took some pictures while we were working. All of the shows want to see a picture of the artist to put with our concept statement. We didn't have any of John and the only ones of me I look like I am mad at the world (probably because John is taking pictures at 10pm after I have been working all day.)

I think he likes it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A NEW blog - Faceted Journey - Using Tarot as a Guide

A NEW blog - Faceted Journey - Using Tarot as a Guide  I am trying to get things done, lol.  I have started a new blog that is dedicated to ...