Saturday, October 17, 2009

I am so happy today!!!!


My husband, John, comes home today.  He has been in Kenya for 10 days.  I know that doesn't sound very long , but to me it is forever!  We have only been apart like that once before and that was this past summer when I went to help out my Mom after her surgery.

Our family lived in Kenya for six months.  John was doing research and teach medical students, while I taught art at Kenya University. 

John took this trip to help on a research project that he has been doing for several years now.  He is trying to find a drug that will help/cure/prevent AIDS.  He and his team have written numerious grants and set up many tests and studies so far. 

When we were there in 2006, we tested a number of women with AIDS and John has been following their progress.  So far, things are looking pretty good. 

On this trip he also had the opportunity to meet with Wangari Maathai.  She had just been to Meredith College (where John works) to lecture about her memoir.  "Unbowed,” a memoir by Nobel laureate Wangari Maathai, who has been a trailblazer on behalf of women and the environment.  And then from Meredith she went to meet with President Obama.  And then she headed back to Kenya where John was able to meet with her again. 

So now I am off to the airport and I can't wait to see him!

No comments:

Post a Comment

A NEW blog - Faceted Journey - Using Tarot as a Guide

A NEW blog - Faceted Journey - Using Tarot as a Guide  I am trying to get things done, lol.  I have started a new blog that is dedicated to ...