Monday, August 17, 2009

David Sedaris


I am not sure how many of you have heard of David Sedaris, but if you are from the Raleigh, NC area it is hard not to. David Sedaris had a regular spot on NPR called This American Life.

I just finished reading When You are Engulfed in Flames, a #1 national bestseller. Most of his books are actually a bunch of short stories. This makes them very easy to read because you can pick it up and start any where you like. I am not sure which chapter I liked best, but I think it is April in Paris. He just reminds me that I am not the only crazy one out there. We all have little things that make us different.

His writing may be a little "crude" for some people - he says it like it is and doesn't care what others may think about it. But I do suggest taking a look at some of his work, you can't help but laugh or maybe cry, but it is all good stuff.

This is his official website: http://literati.net/Sedaris/index.htm and a little blurb about the book.

Trying to make coffee when the water is shut off, David considers using the water in a vase of flowers and his chain of associations takes him from the French countryside to a hilariously uncomfortable memory of buying drugs in a mobile home in rural North Carolina. In essay after essay, Sedaris proceeds from bizarre conundrums of daily life-having a lozenge fall from your mouth into the lap of a fellow passenger on a plane or armoring the windows with LP covers to protect the house from neurotic songbirds-to the most deeply resonant human truths. Culminating in a brilliant account of his venture to Tokyo in order to quit smoking, David Sedaris's sixth essay collection is a new masterpiece of comic writing from "a writer worth treasuring" (Seattle Times).

1 comment:

  1. OH YEAH, David Sedaris! I know of him
    [scratches head..squints..scrunches eyebrows]

    ..ok, so I'm really not familiar with him, truth be told.

    But, at least I have his website now, Thanks, Kitty!

    ReplyDelete

A NEW blog - Faceted Journey - Using Tarot as a Guide

A NEW blog - Faceted Journey - Using Tarot as a Guide  I am trying to get things done, lol.  I have started a new blog that is dedicated to ...