Friday, August 21, 2009

Tear it up and put it back together again

I guess I have my Dad to thank. When I was a teenager, my Dad was having me take computers apart and replace parts or build new ones from pieces. He said that I had a very mechanical mind and I understood reasoning. We also took some computer programing classes together and I always found them too boring because it was too easy. He said that he would spend all night trying to finish the homework, but I would show up to the class with nothing and within a few minutes I had written the programs. Don't get me wrong - he is the smartest man I know when it comes to computers, electronics and any thing mechanical - air conditioners, plumbing, what ever. He was always a little frustrated with me because I never took that kind of thing seriously.

But, I think that he has taught me a lot. I am never afraid to rip something apart just to see how it runs or try to fix something myself. I love tools and all types of machinery. I have taken an electrical class, welding, and a machine tech class to name a few (which I loved).

Well, my sewing machine has been broken for about two years - just sitting on my desk. I checked into getting a professional to look at it, and they said it would be around $200-$300 just to look at it - without guaranteeing that it could be fixed. This sewing machine is a nice one and I wouldn't want to have to go out and buy a new one, so last night I tore it apart!

I definitely learned a lot about how a sewing machine works. I was starting to get a little frustrated, just because I didn't have a mechanical schematics or anything to work with. I can follow any kind of directions, maps or schematics, but there was only the user manual. I am not sure how long it took (more than a service shop would have ever spent), but finally around 11pm last night I got it working!!!!

It was so late so I just went to bed. But, this morning I put it all back together, adjusted all the settings back to where they should be and tried it out. It worked great! I guess you could say I am proud of myself, but again I owe it all to my Dad and the things he taught me.

Oh, and of course there was a little tiny screw left when I was finished putting it back together. I guess I can figure out where that goes next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

A NEW blog - Faceted Journey - Using Tarot as a Guide

A NEW blog - Faceted Journey - Using Tarot as a Guide  I am trying to get things done, lol.  I have started a new blog that is dedicated to ...